12. The English Settlement

Mile marker 63.2, Highway 69

 Ula began as a supply center for ranchers located northwest of Westcliffe on the west side of the highway. According to local lore, many residents of English extraction settled there, and it became known as “the English Settlement.” Ranchers and homesteaders first moved to the area in 1869. Early settlers included the Kennicotts, whose cabin is now on the State Register of Historic Places. It can be seen from State Highway 69 just north of Westcliffe. By 1871, the little town of Ula had a post office, general store and hotel. In the mid to late 1870s miners frequented the settlement. The town's name may have been a local spelling for the Ute Chief, Ouray.

At its peak, Ula's population was 365 people. In 1879, historians Binckley and Hartwell wrote.” …from the present outlook, Ula will become one of the leading of the several thriving towns in that beautiful valley- the Briton’s  Paradise, and …that Ula will become a place of importance now seems apparent to everybody.”
Today, all that remains are a cemetery and cabin.